Perhaps Love - updated with Prestige!
Okay, it was either a toss up between The Promise and Perhaps Love, so I decided to go for the better story, on advice of The New Paper movie critics, whom I actually know.
For those who are not in the loop, the Promise is by Chen Kaige, who spent shitloads of moolah, and is a fantasy love story. Perhaps Love is by Peter Pan, some of it is shot by Chris Doyle, cost less moolah and is a love story set in a musical.
Perhaps Love definitely rocks, especially if you are a girl. I can spend hours looking at Takashi and going ahhhhh. Takashi dripping wet. Double ahhhhh. Woeiwan, I truely understand your sacrifice now. Btw, does anyone have the soundtrack? Actually, thinking about it, this question is pointed at woeiwan more than the rest of you. I only like the Jacky Cheung bits, so am reluctant to buy the whole thing.
Have also started reading The Prestige, by Christopher Priest. It is a book about magic, the same family as Jonathan Strange and Kavalier and Clay. Haven't read enough to figure out the plot, but I think it is about two rival magicians and how that rivalry has affected their descendants (who look like they are about to fall in love). It is going to be made into a movie by Christopher Nolan, so I guess you can skip the book if you want. The movie will star David Bowie (my original ahhhhh), Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale.
UPDATE
I have finished the book and it is really wonderful. The book really concentrates on the rivalty rather than what happens in the modern age, and it is written in the form of two diaries. It is about stage magic, as opposed to real magic (Jonathan Strange). So in a way it is like a spy novel, they are trying to discover each other's secret. The secrets are, in many ways, stranger than you think and definitely very creepy. It's not spelted out explicitly, so when I realised what was going on with the great danton's trick I freaked out. That's all I can say without giving the plot away.



2 Comments:
I decided to avoid The Promise after reading the disgusted reviews on this thead, e.g.
"Just imagine my friend was so embarrassed by this show that he had to treat us to a dinner."
hmm, woeiwan prefered the promise... anyhow, I am heartbroken. Apparently, takashi plays for the other team, my sources tell me.
Post a Comment
<< Home