After reading oblomov's existentialist post...
...I feel I ought to contribute something equally meaningful.
Here's a toad excerpt from ‘The Wee Free Men’ by Terry Pratchett:
“Sometimes I wake up in the night and I think, was I ever really human? Or was I just a toad that got on her nerves and she made me think I was human once? That’d be a real torture, right? Supposing there’s nothing for me to turn back into?” The toad turned worried yellow eyes on her. “After all, it can’t be very hard to mess with a toad’s head, yeah? It must be much simpler than turning, oh, a one-hundred-and-sixty-pound human into eight ounces of toad, yes? After all, where’s the rest of the mass going to go, I ask myself? Is it just sort of, you know, left over? Very worrying. I mean, I’ve got one or two memories of being a human, of course, but what’s a memory? Just a thought in your brain. You can’t be sure it’s real. Honestly, on nights when I’ve eaten a bad slug, I wake up screaming, except all that comes out is a croak.”
Very deep stuff.



2 Comments:
ha! i like this. imagine writing your philo HT based on terry pratchett! i shall read it one day, i hope. the sad thing is, i've never read anything by pratchett beyond the 1st 2 discworld novels. i read them in sec 2 when i was, remarkably, even more dense than my present usual self, and though i liked them, or wanted to like them, i couldn't help feeling a little frustrated cos i was sure there were just too many witty remarks that i missed and i just wasn't understanding everything well enough. then before i knew it, i've lost my obsessive interest in fantasy books so i never considered rereading my terry pratchett books.
i think terry pratchett is great. you don't have to read his books in sequence, but I guess it helps cos the characters reappear, so in terms of their motivation, where they are coming from etc. I highly recommend anything with the witches in it (lords and ladies, wyrd sisters, maskerade) and the city watch (guards guards, men at arms, night watch).
Post a Comment
<< Home