05 February 2007

magic for beginners

I love this book by Kelly Link, and the good news is that they have it at the library. The bad news is that I am holding on to the only copy right now :) but I promise to return it soon.

It is a collection of short stories that have appeared elsewhere. The writing is like magic realism (though I'm not sure what that means in a literary sense), but I assume it is when strange illogical things happen. The stories really feel like a dream, as in one minute you are doing something then it changes and you don't know how you got here. It is similar to the stories that Neil Gaiman writes, sad, funny and scary all mixed up. And in each story there seems to be potential for more stange, sad funny stories.

Like in the title story, a bunch of teens are fans of this tv show, but the show has no fixed telecast time, an evolving plot and only the 2 lead characters are always played by the same actors. The rest of the cast takes turn to swap their roles. That would be such an interesting concept if a tv show was made like that...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home