Books in Bali
Humm. Just spent a week diving and so can report on the books that we went through.
1) Kallaboo: Gene was actually totally inspired by your blog and started reading Karma Cola; except he's taken about a month now, and is now reading Neil Gaiman's sandman series of comics
2) I finally capitulated and read The God of Small Things - anyone want to start a discussion about this? I was actually fairly disappointed at the ending: it was so... predictable. But maybe it was meant to be like this?
3) Books that also occupied my time in Bali: Gaiman's and Pratchett's Good Omens - which I found funny, if a teensy weensy bit formulaic, but its okay, its not one of those thinking books.
4) And Peace Kills by PJ O Rourke, whom I have always liked. But now he comes across as really ... well... american with all the Jingoism that now connotes.
Discussions anyone?



3 Comments:
I thought the god of small things was very well written (it's been a while), even though the ending was predictable. Like the journey was good, even though you knew where you were going? I'm blathering.
Hummm... true it was beautifully written, but i had *such* a hard time going through the last few chapters after the kids discovered the boat. I was like... I *KNOW* what's going to happen liao. Eugh.
Next time you are in Indonesia, you must read Pramoedya Ananta Toer's Buru Quartet.
Post a Comment
<< Home