29 October 2005

this is not about a book

okay, I just have to whinge and I can't do it on my own blog in case my housemate reads it. I need advice people, for the first time I've been forced to fight for food at the dinner table.

It's not that he eats fast, but he eats a lot, and he really goes for the choice cuts WHICH PISSES ME OFF. If there are two drumsticks, and two of us, you don't have to eat both. This guy is slightly smaller than me, which makes it even more unexpected, plus, he snacks all the time.

So my mum makes a chinese tonic soup, with an single egg, and tells him not to take the soup as it as a tonic for women. We come home, and he has eaten the egg, which is meant to be the best part as it has absorbed all the nutrients etc. She's all jokey when she finds out, but I can tell she is pissed and I will hear about it in great detail later.

Honestly, would you fish around in a soup that you've already been warned off, and grab the one and only egg?
In a tonic for women?

Like, if it was a general soup, I understand. And it's not like we are starving him, there's heaps of food in the fridge and on the table.

And, there's the bak kut teh incident, which happened twice. The first time, I asked him to leave me some soup, and that's all he did, just soup. Maybe it's me, I'm used to having people leave me at least a piece of meat in the soup. And fair enough, maybe I wasn't clear that I meant soup+meat. Second time around, I'm not home, so mum explicitly tells him to leave me a piece of meat. My bowl comes up empty.

I thought we all learnt to share at kindergarten. So, how would you retrain such a person or even approach the topic? Is he being greedy, devious or just ignorant?

5 Comments:

Blogger Alvin said...

Poor Wy. It sounds like your housemate is a selfish pig. Maybe you should get a mini-fridge for your own room, or perhaps a new housemate.

5:30 pm, October 29, 2005  
Blogger oblomov said...

your housemate is an ASS! except that he's an ass with a kind of mutant rhino hide that's impenetrable. who the hell will eat up all the food that someone else's mum has cooked???!!! no, i think anyone with sense would not have left just soup and no meat. who the hell will eat stuff he's been told specifically is meant for someone else???!!!man, and the tonic must have taken quite a lot of effort to brew! and to think he's eating all your food during the exam period when you need to nourish yourself especially so you can study!!! this is not just plain selfishness. it shows a complete lack of self-awareness! it's ridiculous. fine, i guess if you want to be nice and tolerant, you can overlook that he has absolutely no initiative when it comes to basic consideration for others, but eating someone else's food when you've been told not to is really stupid.

12:15 am, October 30, 2005  
Blogger oblomov said...

i think you may have to be even clearer when it comes to demarcation of food. assign a specific fridge space - his, yours, communal. and he's not to touch anything in your allocated space. don't know if that'll work. you may have to label your food with your name even?? i guess it's not going to appear too neighbourly but well, some actions are themselves so far from decent behaviour it's impossible to find a polite response that'll solve the problem. tough luck, wy. how long will you be stuck with him?

12:25 am, October 30, 2005  
Blogger kallaboo said...

GOLLY! this guy is a bit of an ass! he sure act blur very well too. is he only like this with food? sounds to me like he has some sort of disorder. no, i'm not joking. if he's perfectly normal with sharing other stuff, then he's definitely sick in his head somewhere.

I think SW is right. you'll have to take some drastic actions like labelling stuff and cordoning a section of the fridge. and if he still helps himself to those stuff, it actually counts as thieving and more or less warrants a reason to move out.

6:29 pm, November 01, 2005  
Blogger wyjunkie said...

after massive hints and a couple of scoldings from mum, he seems to have got the message, so will not have to resort to labelling food as yet. We will see if the lesson has sunk in when i come back next year.

3:09 pm, November 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home