01 November 2005

Beerlao and bad humour...

...go very well together.

Well! I had hoped to be more frequent about this, but Hoping never gets anyone anywhere when you're in Laos where the internet connection ranges from 0 to 28.8 kbps.

So here's an update on the what i'm reading thread. It's Terry Pratchett AGAIN...and immediately after Wee Free Men somemore. (I don't know if it's possible to OD on bad humour.) Anyhow, this time it's Small Gods, something I read ages ago and which I liked thoroughly for the fact that the protagonist chosen by the Great God Om is a dimwitted bloke, which goes to show that intelligence is over-rated and blind faith gets you through every time.

The where is Room 202 of Oudomphone Guesthouse 2 in Huay Xai, a miserable one-street town on the Thai-Lao border. You can see the boyfriend reading Wee Free Men in the mirror. And there's all our wet stuff from being caught in the rain in an open boat for two straight days. But this is a bit backdated because we just got to Chiang Rai coz our Laos visa threatened to run out soon.

Libation is of course Beerlao, which tastes suspiciously like Tiger Beer but much cheaper, at US$0.80 per bottle (or US$0.60 if you're Lao). Unfortunately this is also not too accurate because I didnt drink it ALL THE TIME while i was reading the book, which is also a bit unfortunate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home