Chiang Mai is second-hand bookstore heaven!
I don't think i've ever seen so many second-hand bookstores in a single place before. I think you'd all be in heaven here. The selection is absolutely amazing too; I found My Idea of Fun by Will Self which for some reason does not exist in Singapore. The prices are alright too, at 200-300 baht (S$9-13) a book with the refund at 50-75%. It's a good thing we dont have much space in our backpacks, otherwise we'd be lugging around more books than luggage!! Anyone needs any hard-to-find/out-of-print book? I can do a lookaround for you here.



9 Comments:
look for samuel r delany books. he's not available in singapore. you a fan of will self? i couldn't finish 'cock and bull'.
Actually, the National Library's branches have a very good selection of Samuel R. Delany's books.
i don't like the national library. and unless they're from the nus library, i don't really like the idea of using/reading library books. but i'm quite surprised. the national library usually fails me. i have delany's book on the sex shows and sleaze of the former times square (b4 it got cleaned up) if anyone's interested. wonder if this would be in the nat lib. and you're welcome to borrow 'the einstein intersection' too.
I used to hate the National Library, but I must say the upgraded Jurong East Library is superb, with a very good selection of books. In some areas the NUS library pales in comparison!
hey alf, you read delany too? what have you read?
I haven't read his books, but I saw them at the Jurong East Library.
When it comes to literary SF I prefer Gene Wolfe, Stephen Baxter, Iain M. Banks and Ken MacLeod.
havent seen delany in the shops here. but im quite sure i saw some in sunny bookstore before, or was i mistaken?
yes, will self is very difficult to read. makes each book last longer, i always say.
i didn't take to him in 'cock and bull'. but maybe it's just that book. i'm not quite ready to relegate him to the 'kerouac category' (ie books you shouldn't waste time reading). always thought of trying him again at a later time. which will you recommend as a good intro to his books? if you like will self, have you tried william burroughs? my copy of 'naked lunch' has been collecting dust on my shelf. have been quite turned off beat writing. but maybe a favourable review from a cool friend may get me to make another attempt to get into it. i'm in the mood to be pretty impressionable for now. not much private time at all this whole 1 and a half weeks it's crazy! not been reading and have a half-read book somewhere.
i read something by burroughs before but i cant remember what, so it probably wasnt bad but just not fantastic either.
well, a good will self book that most normal people seem to be able to digest is Great Apes. Think of it as a much MUCH longer version of Franx Kafka's Metamorphosis.
Post a Comment
<< Home