I'm breaking my promise
to not read for the entire two months. Have been tempted by the smashingly new national library, where librarians prowl to make sure you are not sleeping on their exceedingly comfortable couches.
"Hello, sir, wake up, cannot sleep here...'
Anyhow, I am reading
- pattern recognition by william gibson.
meant to be yet another follow up to neuromancer, it is about a woman who is hyper sensitive to brands, and becomes a valuable market researcher. Funniest bit: Tommy Hilfiger as the ultimate black hole of emptiness, a brand that is so vapid it collapses unto itself.
- the mechanical turk, the true story of the chess playing machine that fooled the world.
Not sure how great this will be, considering I don't have enough brain cells to play chess, but sounds geekishly scandalous.
- Snow country, yasunari kawabata
a work of beauty and strangness, the blurb reads. it is about a geisha and a dilettante, whatever that is. the author won the nobel prize for lit, as you can tell.



2 Comments:
I was at the Jurong Regional Library this morning. Anansi Boys sadly was still "in process", so I picked up Elizabeth Kostova's much-hyped The Historian instead.
according to my pda, a 'dilettante' is 'an amateur who engages in an activity without serious intentions and who pretends to have knowledge'.
Hey, that sounds like me.
Post a Comment
<< Home